Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kale Smoothie Recipe

I love this kale smoothie recipe! In fact, I have cravings for this smoothie. It's strange how our bodies know good food and crave it. I usually make this in the morning and it gives me lots of energy for the day. My kids also love this smoothie, except my oldest, who was pretty much raised on a processed food diet (my own fault). I'm realizing how important it is to start your kids off on a whole foods diet!!
Start by adding 1.5 cups of coconut milk and 3-4 leaf/stalks of kale in your blender. Blend these together for about 1-2 min, or until you can't see any bits of the Kale.
See how you can't see any bits of Kale? I don't like leaf chunks in my smoothies :)
Next, add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries and blend them for a minute or so. (blueberries will leave little blueberry skin flecks in your smoothie if they are not blended well) Then, add 7-8 frozen strawberries, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 3 Tablespoons of honey. Blend until mixed throughly.
Enjoy!

A whole foods diet can be expensive. Here are some tips to help save money and eat well.

Kale~ Kale one of the cheapest and healthiest lettuces available. I think I paid $1.19 for a whole bunch. That will make about 6 smoothies.

Frozen Berries~ The best place to buy frozen berries is a Sam's or Costco. You can also buy them in season at Aldi for cheap and then freeze them.

Coconut Milk~ There are lots of printable coupons out there for coconut milk and I almost always find coconut milk marked down at my Kroger. I combine the mark down and a coupon to pay less that a dollar for a 1/2 a gallon.

Honey~ I buy local honey by the gallon directly from the farm to save the most money. 

How do you save money on a whole foods diet?


No comments:

Post a Comment