If you have a ham bone left over from one of your holiday meals you need to try this recipe. Yum!! This is rumored to be served in the dining room of the U.S. Senate. I found this on food.com.
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (I used 5)
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried)
- salt and pepper
- Put beans and enough water to cover in pot.
- Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and soak for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In large pot, put beans, ham bone, and 3 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat,cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add next 5 ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove hambone.
- Remove meat from bone and cut in small pieces.